Southern Coalition for Social Justice
The Southern Coalition for Social Justice (SCSJ) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that was founded in August 2007 and works across the South. Our mission is to promote justice by partnering with communities of color and economically disadvantaged communities to defend and advance their political, social, and economic rights. Using a community lawyering approach to priority setting, SCSJ’s focus areas currently include voting rights, justice system transformation, and youth decriminalization, as well as environmental justice and human rights when resources permit. SCSJ provides comprehensive resources for communities seeking to create structural change, in areas from research and litigation to organizing and communications, and utilizes all mechanisms for supporting those communities, including movement lawyering strategies. For more information about our work and our unique lawyering approach, visit our website at www.scsj.org.
Position Announcement: Voting Rights Counsel
Gearing up for the 2020 election cycle and the 2021 redistricting process, SCSJ has immediate openings for a licensed attorney with trial-level civil litigation and briefing experience. We expect to hire an attorney with at least three to five years of experience but would consider a more experienced candidate for a Senior Counsel role. While the position will primarily focus on voting rights issues, motivated candidates may later seek opportunities to participate in SCSJ’s other practice areas as well.
- Assuming second or third chair responsibilities in SCSJ cases, including strategizing the case and its litigation, working with lead counsel in each case to ensure efficient coverage of duties, communicating effectively with SCSJ team and co-counsel about case
- Mentoring and providing feedback to interns where appropriate
- Contributing to the perpetuation of good practice management habits
- Representing SCSJ in advocacy and informational communications and meetings with local-level governmental entities, including county boards of election
- Assisting Chief and Senior Counsel in identifying new partners and potential cases to expand or protect voting rights
- Representing SCSJ in community education events and public speaking engagements that raise the profile of SCSJ and increase awareness of attacks on democratic processes
- Occasionally representing SCSJ in attendance at significant voting rights gatherings in order to raise our profile and discuss our work
- Licensed to practice law in the State of North Carolina, or ability to waive in promptly.
- Trial and appellate-level briefing experience.
- Ability to be self-reliant, self-directed, and highly efficient; to independently resolve problems; to communicate clearly as part of a team of lawyers and non-lawyers; and to take responsibility for multiple cases at a time.
- Commitment to social justice principles and to SCSJ’s community-lawyering model of practice.
- Three to five years of legal experience (candidates with more experience may be considered for a Senior Attorney role); preference for 1-3 years of experience in complex civil litigation experience, with substantial motion and discovery practice, well-developed legal research and writing skills, and appearances in civil proceedings in state and/or federal court
- Experience with civil rights or social justice litigation and/or administrative proceedings is a plus.
Start Date: July 2020.
Salary & Benefits:
The VR Counsel salary will range from $55,000 to $75,000 a year, commensurate with experience, and include comprehensive health and retirement benefits.
The VR Counsel will work from SCSJ’s office located in Durham, North Carolina. Due to the ongoing public health crisis, SCSJ staff will be is working remotely until advised that it is safe to return to work. During this period of remote work, we at SCSJ are committed to are working with staff on flex schedules on an individual basis, including setting up flex schedules if needed for childcare or other care commitments.
Candidates must upload a resume, cover letter and writing sample at the following link: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1926414556/
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
SCSJ is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender, gender identity, age, or disability.
If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance completing the online application, please contact Margaret DeLaurentis at (919) 323-3380 or email@example.com for assistance.