Gearing up for the 2020 election cycle and the 2021 redistricting process, SCSJ has immediate openings for two licensed Staff Attorneys with trial-level civil litigation and briefing experience. We expect to hire two attorneys with three to five years of experience, but would consider a more experienced candidate for a Senior Attorney role. While both positions will primarily focus on voting rights issues, motivated candidates may later seek opportunities to participate in SCSJ’s other practice areas as well.
The Southern Coalition for Social Justice (SCSJ) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that was founded in August 2007 and works across the South. Our mission is to promote justice by partnering with communities of color and economically disadvantaged communities to defend and advance their political, social, and economic rights. SCSJ’s focus areas are community-driven, and currently include voting rights, criminal justice reform, and youth justice, as well as environmental justice and human rights when resources permit.
Hosting one of the country’s premier voting rights programs, SCSJ has litigated voting rights and redistricting cases all across the South, in states including North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Florida and Texas, including two Supreme Court arguments in the last two years. Active in both state and federal court, SCSJ’s voting rights team litigates a broad scope of voting rights cases, including cases brought under state and federal constitutions, the Voting Rights Act, and the National Voter Registration Act. With a commitment to combating voter suppression in all its forms, SCSJ has also represented voters prosecuted for participation in the political process and voters who have been subject to intimidation and defamation. SCSJ also works on proactive electoral reform advocacy projects as well. SCSJ seeks attorneys committed to delivering excellent legal services to communities that frequently lack adequate representation. Our model of practice requires team members who work well with grassroots groups and in collaboration with other civil rights groups, and who have deep passion for and commitment to fighting for inclusive political participation. For more information about our work and our unique community lawyering approach, visit our website at www.scsj.org.
- Licensed to practice law in the State of North Carolina, or ability to waive in promptly.
- Trial and appellate-level briefing experience.
- Ability to be self-reliant, self-directed, and highly efficient; to independently resolve problems; to communicate clearly as part of a team of lawyers and non-lawyers; and to take responsibility for multiple cases at a time.
- Commitment to social justice principles and to SCSJ’s community-lawyering model of practice.
- Three to five years of legal experience (candidates with more experience may be considered for a Senior Attorney role); preference for 1-3 years of experience in complex civil litigation experience, with substantial motion and discovery practice, well-developed legal research and writing skills, and appearances in civil proceedings in state and/or federal court
Experience with civil rights or social justice litigation and/or administrative proceedings is a plus.
Staff Attorney Responsibilities:
- Assuming second or third chair responsibilities in SCSJ cases, including strategizing the case and its litigation, working with lead counsel in each case to ensure efficient coverage of duties, communicating effectively with SCSJ team and co-counsel about case
- Mentoring and providing feedback to interns where appropriate
- Contributing to the perpetuation of good practice management habits
- Representing SCSJ in advocacy and informational communications and meetings with local-level governmental entities, including such as county boards of election
- Assisting Chief Counsel and Senior Attorneys in identifying new partners and potential cases to expand or protect voting rights
- Representing SCSJ in community education events and public speaking engagements that raise the profile of SCSJ and increase awareness of attacks on democratic processes
- Occasionally representing SCSJ in attendance at significant voting rights gatherings in order to raise our profile and discuss our work
Start Date: As soon as possible.
Salary & Benefits: SCSJ offers competitive salaries, commensurate with experience, and comprehensive health and retirement plans. SCSJ is in the process of revising its compensation structure, but we will discuss salary ranges during the early stages of the application process.
Location: SCSJ’s office located in Durham, North Carolina, the heart of The Research Triangle, one of the most dynamic and culturally rich regions of the country.
Candidates must upload a cover letter, resume, and multiple legal writing samples, including samples of court briefs, through the application form at https://podio.com/webforms/23638731/1701663.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
SCSJ is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender, gender identity, age, or disability.
If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance completing the online application, please contact Margaret DeLaurentis at (919) 323-3380 or email@example.com for assistance.