Southern Coalition for Social Justice
The Southern Coalition for Social Justice (SCSJ) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that was founded in August 2007 and works across the South. Our mission is to promote justice by partnering with communities of color and economically disadvantaged communities to defend and advance their political, social, and economic rights. Using a community lawyering approach to priority setting, SCSJ’s focus areas currently include voting rights, justice system transformation, and youth decriminalization, as well as environmental justice and human rights when resources permit. SCSJ provides comprehensive resources for communities seeking to create structural change, in areas from research and litigation to organizing and communications, and utilizes all mechanisms for supporting those communities, including movement lawyering strategies. For more information about our work and our unique lawyering approach, visit our website at www.scsj.org.
SCSJ has an immediate opening for a Policy Analyst to support SCSJ’s Voting Rights and Justice Systems Reform teams as well as our grassroots partners across the South fighting on behalf disadvantaged communities to defend and advance their political, social and economic rights. We are seeking an individual with strong research and analytical skills, who excels at presenting findings and recommendations in an accessible manner. A successful candidate will have a background in data, research, and evaluation, as well as experience in both qualitative analysis and writing and presenting reports.
- Research and author in-depth reports, policy briefs and other collateral on voting rights and democracy issues, justice systems reforms, and other racial and social justice topics
- Synthesize data from large publicly available data sets or our in-house data analytics team and present that data in an accessible, educational and compelling formats
- Author mass-media-oriented commentary and analysis, representing the Southern Coalition for Social Justice externally in research and academic spaces
- Work closely with local, state, and national advocates and officials to support community-supported racial and social justice reforms
- Survey policies across the country to support advocacy on behalf of our clients and partners, working with other program staff and clients to assess the efficacy of proposed policies
- Develop positive relationships with leaders in various state and federal government groups, grassroots movements, advocacy organizations, and academic institutions.
- Bachelor’s degree with 4+ years of experience or Master’s degree with 2+ years of experience required. Formal coursework in research methods and policy analysis preferred.
- Proficient in writing and researching with both with scholarly rigor and compelling advocacy. Proficient in (or able to learn quickly) different ways of presenting complicated data or policies in an accessible and useful manner, with the goal of equipping partners with advocacy tools.
- Commitment to SCSJ’s mission, and to building an egalitarian organization guided by principles and practices that promote racial equity.
- Positive attitude towards assignments, friendly disposition, ability to work in a team environment, and strong desire to help staff produce a quality work product.
- Flexibility to respond to rapidly changing priorities and multiple requests from a variety of staff members.
- Ability to approach a project creatively, problem solve, exercise discretion and independent judgment, and work with minimum direction.
Start Date: July 2020
Salary & Benefits:
The Policy Analyst salary will range from $50,000 to $65,000 a year, commensurate with experience, and include comprehensive health and retirement benefits.
The Policy Analyst will work from SCSJ’s office located in Durham, North Carolina. Due to the ongoing public health crisis, SCSJ staff will be working remotely until advised that it is safe to return to work. During this period of remote time, we are working with staff on an individual basis to set up flex schedules if needed for childcare or other care commitments.
Please apply the following link: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1926353155/
Candidates must upload resume, cover letter and a writing sample.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
SCSJ is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender, gender identity, age, or disability.
If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance completing the online application, please contact Margaret DeLaurentis at (919) 323-3380 or email@example.com for assistance.