Southern Coalition for Social Justice
The Southern Coalition for Social Justice (SCSJ) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that was founded in August 2007 and works across the South. Our mission is to promote justice by partnering with communities of color and economically disadvantaged communities to defend and advance their political, social, and economic rights. Using a community lawyering approach to priority setting, SCSJ’s focus areas currently include voting rights, criminal justice transformation, and youth decriminalization, as well as environmental justice and human rights when resources permit. SCSJ provides comprehensive resources for communities seeking to create structural change, in areas from research and litigation to organizing and communications, and utilizes all mechanisms for supporting those communities, including movement lawyering strategies. For more information about our work and our unique lawyering approach, visit our website at www.scsj.org.
SCSJ has an immediate opening for a GIS Specialist/Data Analyst, to support SCSJ’s Voting Rights and Justice Systems Reform teams as well as our grassroots partners across the South fighting on behalf disadvantaged communities to defend and advance their political, social and economic rights. This role will provide GIS programmatic support, data management and analysis services to all SCSJ program areas, but in the next year, will be heavily focused on supporting our elections data analytics need and our massive redistricting engagement program spanning at least 7 states. The role is for a 2-year term of employment, with benefits, but with the goal of extending the role to permanent employment depending on resources and fit.
- Conduct quantitative data analysis in support of litigation and advocacy in both the voting rights and justice systems reform practice areas
- Analyze redistricting plans introduced by legislative bodies ranging from town councils to state legislatures
- Work with clients and the voting rights team to assist communities in developing and analyzing redistricting plans at all levels of government for introduction in the legislative process or in litigation
- Utilize data and geospatial analysis skills to assist in policy analysis across SCSJ’s practice areas
- Help develop SCSJ’s capacity to provide grassroots community organizations with the data and geospatial information they need to advance their own social, political and economic interests
- Work with tenacity to keep up with emerging GIS, redistricting and data analytics technologies
- Bachelor’s degree with 4+ years of experience or Master’s degree with 1+ years of experience required. Certificate in GIS, or formal coursework in spatial data management, mapping and cartographic design, spatial analysis, and similar coursework preferred.
- Proficient in (or able to learn quickly) GIS software, such as ArcGIS, with a willingness to learn other platforms as necessary (including Maptitude for Redistricting). Proficient (or able to learn quickly) in software used to perform quantitative data analysis, such as MS Office programs and experience with either R, Stata, or Tableau preferred. Working familiarity with multiple GIS and data analysis platforms a plus.
- Commitment to SCSJ’s mission, and to building an egalitarian organization guided by principles and practices that promote racial equity.
- Positive attitude towards assignments, friendly disposition, ability to work in a team environment, and strong desire to help staff produce a quality work product.
- Flexibility to respond to rapidly changing priorities and multiple requests from a variety of staff members.
- Ability to approach a project creatively, problem solve, exercise discretion and independent judgment, and work with minimum direction.
Start Date: July 2020
Salary & Benefits:
The GIS Specialist/Data Analyst salary will range from $50,000 to $65,000 a year, commensurate with experience, and include comprehensive health and retirement benefits.
The GIS Specialist/Data Analyst will work from SCSJ’s office located in Durham, North Carolina. Due to the ongoing public health crisis, SCSJ staff will be is working remotely until advised that it is safe to return to work. During this period of remote work, we at SCSJ are committed to are working with staff on flex schedules on an individual basis, including setting up flex schedules if needed for childcare or other care commitments.
Candidates must upload a cover letter and resume at the following link https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1926395210/
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
SCSJ is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender, gender identity, age, or disability.
If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance completing the online application, please contact Margaret DeLaurentis at (919) 323-3380 or email@example.com for assistance.