Fair Chance Hiring is an incredibly impactful practice to take on, especially considering that one third of Americans have a criminal record. Here at the Southern Coalition for Social Justice, we believe that we are not the worst of our mistakes. Therefore, we recruit businesses and nonprofit organizations to create an inclusive hiring practice that selects candidates on their qualifications, rather than reject them for their past mistakes.
In order to become Fair Chance Business Certified, businesses must:
- Remove all questions about criminal records from the initial job application form.
- Delay asking questions about criminal records until the applicant is given a conditional offer.
- Give applicants a chance to see any background checks you run.
The certification is free and open to any small business in the South. Certified businesses receive a free window sticker, access to special events, and resources for creating effective fair chance hiring policies.
Complete List of Participants
- Ben & Jerry’s Chapel Hill
- Durham Coop Market
- The Durham Ritz
- Men at Work Car Care
- Principal Janitorial Services LLC
- Boardwalk Capital Management
- Second Chance Outreach Equipping Center LLC
- TS Designs
- GIVN Goods Inc.
- The Parlour Ice Cream Shop
- Core Catering
- Eyes, Ears, Nose & Paws
- Carroll’s Kitchen
- Smitty’s Homemade Ice Cream
- Big C Waffles
- Caktus Group
- Urban Parks Concessionaires